Young Musicians Competition – Piano
CHAIRPERSON: Yu-Ying Emily Lee
REGISTRATION FEE: $55 per student. Fees are non-refundable.
If paying by check, it should be written by the teacher and made payable to “New Jersey Music Teachers Association” with the event code “YMC-Piano” written on the memo line.
Absolutely no checks from students, and no cash or money orders will be accepted.
Checks can be mailed to:
11 Clivehills Road
Edison, NJ 08820
REPERTOIRE: Selection of the repertoire is at the discretion of the teacher, with the following requirements: Two compositions from standard repertoire from memory:
Either Baroque or Classical
Either Romantic or Modern
* Please use MTNA Composer Classification List for your reference.
· Variations must be performed in their entirety.
· Sonata: Students are not permitted to perform more than one movement of sonata/sonatina, except attacca movements. Only college students are permitted to play two separate movements from the same opus number.
· Both Prelude & Fugue from the Well-Tempered Clavier by Bach must be performed to count as one piece.
· Repeats will not be played unless the piece is very short or the repeats affect the integrity of the piece.
· No arrangements or simplified editions of works originally written for piano will be accepted.
· Published transcription of the other instruments or ensemble (such as Bach/Busoni’s Chaconne, Chinese tradition folk songs) will be acceptable as long as they are original by thecomposers.
· A group of short pieces of the same opus number such as Chopin Preludes can be considered as one piece if they do not exceed the maximum time allowed in their age group